Pregnancy Rants

High Risk Pregnancy

It has been a loooong time since my last post. The reason for that is I have been in the hospital, strapped to a machine, and cut off from all contact to the outside world. It’s great to be back!

Let me start by sharing what happened. Several weeks ago, my husband and I went to my OB for my regular checkup. My OB was just as surprised as I was to see how huge my tummy had become. Considering how far along I was, it didn’t seem normal to her. She asked me to go to the ultrasound clinic to have a biophysical profile score (BPS) and non-stress test (NST) done.

We went off to the ultrasound clinic right after my OB appointment. The OB-Sonologist was with another patient when we arrived so her assistant had me do the NST first. During the NST, two devices are strapped to my tummy to monitor my baby’s heart rate and contractions. I was also given a button to press each time I felt my baby move.

After 20 minutes, the assistant printed out the NST results and asked me to transfer to the other room where the OB-Sonologist was waiting for me for my BPS. Basically she just uses her ultrasound machine to measure the different parts of my baby. She tells me later on that everything is fine with my baby as far as her measurements are concerned, it’s just that her head is a little bigger than the rest of the body. She said this was common in babies of moms with gestational diabetes.

The OB-Sonologist then asked her assistant for the NST printout so she can read it to me as well. That’s where things started to turn sour. She frowned as she looked at it and asked the assistant if she was given the correct printout. She then asked me to transfer back to the NST room. She wanted another NST done.

After another 20 minutes of monitoring, the OB-Sonologist checked the new printout and shook her head. She told me I needed to go back to my OB to show her the results. Based on the NST, I was having contractions that were 5-12 minutes apart. It was not a good thing.

At that point, I was getting a bit worried. I contacted my OB and sent her the results thru Viber. She called me within minutes and told me I need to go to the hospital and ask to be admitted for pre-term labor.

Extremely confused, my husband and I drove to the hospital ER and told them what my OB asked me to do. After checking my ultrasound results and discussing among themselves, the ER doctors told me I need to be admitted into the high risk pregnancy unit. I was in labor and my baby was only 32 weeks old.

I didn’t understand anything they said. I didn’t feel anything different. My tummy would feel stiff once in a while but it goes away and it doesn’t hurt. What pre-term labor? What’s 1cm dilated?

I was taken to the high risk pregnancy unit where they confiscated everything I had including all my clothes. I was not allowed to see my husband or even keep my phone so I can contact him. An intern was assigned to monitor my contractions throughout the night. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. The last time that I was in a hospital as a patient was when I was born.

The next morning, a doctor introduced herself to me and said she will be handling my case. She explained to me that they need to stop my contractions because my baby was too young to be born. They also had to inject steroids to help my baby survive if in case they couldn’t stop the contractions.

I was told that the cause of my early labor was because I had too much amniotic fluid in my tummy. This condition was called polyhydramnios. It is a common complication of gestational diabetes. Because my tummy was so full, my body thought it was time for me to give birth.

I was also told all the other possible side effects of polyhydramnios. These included umbilical prolapse, excessive bleeding after giving birth, and stillbirth. I couldn’t stop crying. It was all my fault. If I had been more disciplined in my diet, this wouldn’t be happening to my baby. I put her life in danger because of my gluttony.

Days went by and I was getting more depressed. I didn’t have anyone to talk to and I couldn’t even move around since I had the machine strapped to me. Not even my husband was allowed to visit me inside the high risk pregnancy unit.

One night, the nurse on duty woke me up and said he had a gift for me. He handed me a cordless phone and told me to say hello. I did and I heard my husband’s voice on the other line. He said he’s been waiting right outside from the first day I was admitted. He told me that the nurse felt so bad for him that he decided to sneak the phone in just so we can talk for a few minutes.

That nurse was an angel, and I will always be thankful for what he did. I know what he did was against the rules and he could have gotten into a lot of trouble if someone important was trying to call his station. But that phone call gave me strength and snapped me out of the pity party I was throwing for myself.

After some time, the contractions stopped and I was finally allowed to transfer to a regular hospital bed. They had to monitor my blood sugar before and after each meal to make sure my polyhydramnios won’t get any worse. A few weeks more and I was allowed to go home.

I’m not entirely out of the woods yet since I am still diabetic and there’s still excess fluid in my tummy but it has gone down considerably from when I was admitted. All I have to do now is wait for my baby to come. I’m at 37 weeks now and it’s only a matter of time.


2 thoughts on “High Risk Pregnancy

    1. Thanks.. I guess when I started this blog I meant to document a happy adventure but things don’t always turn out as expected.. My baby’s coming very very soon and everything will be worth it.. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s